Scholarship Program for Christian Young People in Hungary, 2022-2023: The Hungary Helps Program, run by the Hungarian Deputy State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians, offers scholarships for bachelor’s, master’s, and one-tier master’s programs.
The Government of Hungary established the Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People (SCYP) in 2017. The State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians and the Hungary Helps Program manages the Scholarship Program for Christian Young People. Since August 2020, the Hungary Helps Agency has been in charge of coordinating the Scholarship Program.
The Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People’s main goal is to give young Christian students living in crisis areas of the world the opportunity to study in Hungary and/or to be threatened in their home country because of their beliefs.
After completing their studies, scholarship recipients will return to their home communities to use their newfound knowledge to aid in the rehabilitation of war-torn countries and contribute to the betterment of social conditions and the preservation of Christian culture.
About Government of Hungary
In the heart of Europe, Hungary offers high-quality education. International students are increasingly interested in studying in Hungary. Aside from the high quality of education and degrees recognized throughout Europe and beyond, students are drawn to Hungary by the low cost of living, a safe and friendly living environment with easy public transportation, the country’s central location in Europe, and the unspoiled natural beauty combined with a 2000-year-old, rich Hungarian history and several UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Aim and Benefits of Government of Hungary Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People
• Monthly stipend – bachelor, master, and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 119 000 (about EUR 380) contribution to living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, till completion of studies
• Dormitory place or a HUF 40 000 donation to housing costs for the duration of the scholarship year
• Reimbursement of travel costs – HUF 200 000 each year (cca. EUR 645)
• Medical insurance – health-care services in accordance with Hungarian law (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health-insurance card) and extra medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (about EUR 205) per person per year.
Requirements for Government of Hungary. Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People Qualification
The Hungary Scholarship Program for Christian Young People is based on the cooperation between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and churches, pursuing humanitarian activities in crisis regions.
- Local Churches must verify and confirm that the applicant belongs to their religious community, even if they do not hold Hungarian citizenship.
- Only those applications that have received a recommendation from the local Church and the approval of the Deputy State Secretariat for the Aid of Persecuted Christians will be considered for a scholarship.
- Scholarship holders must have the relevant language and education certificates, as well as the degrees requested by the host university of the chosen degree program.
- Scholarship recipients agree in their scholarship agreements to return to their home countries when the scholarship year ends, if local security and political conditions permit.
- Scholarships are for young applicants who are older than 18 years of age by the time their education starts
- An individual may win the scholarship only one time at a study level.
Selection Criteria: Applications are considered formally eligible if all criteria are met:
- The applicant is eligible for participation in the Scholarship Programme;
- The applicant has applied for a scholarship type and study programme available within the framework of the Scholarship Programme;
- The applicant has submitted the application and all documents as required no later than the application deadline (except for cases listed in section 3.3.);
- The applicant has proved his/her language proficiency and the language skills meet the requirements of the Host Institution.
Applicants with an eligible, formally correct application can proceed to the institutional entrance examinations. Each applicant can participate in up to two institutional entrance examinations – based on the submitted application form.
January 31, 2022. Interested and qualified? Go to Government of Hungary on apply.scyp.hu to apply
Follow Our Social Media